Prison Diary: Birthday Cards

One of the things that I most look forward to every year is the birthday card I get from the Men in White.

I've written about these contraband birthday cards before. Anything the inmates make is contraband. But it's one of those things that is tolerated. But technically, making a birthday card is breaking the rules.

I love these outlaw birthday cards. Not only is the paperwork and art of the card impressive, what I most cherish are the notes and birthday wishes each man writes to me.

It's humbling to read the card, pondering the journey we've been making together on Monday nights over the years. There is genuine affection between us.

And they never miss the date. Every year Herb gets a card and so do I. Mine came late this year. I was with dear friends in England and Jersey in June.

But the first day I got back to the unit, there was my card.


This entry was posted by Richard Beck. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply